A Chat with Fulton...




bill berry Interviews Cyd Charisse Fulton, Poet & Writer, who will be presenting, "Feeding Off Of The North Star," original poems Inspired by the Life & Legacy of Harriet Tubman, on March 10th @ 3PM, Thompson Memorial AME Zion Church, Auburn, NY


bill:


Hey Cyd, thank you for taking the time to chat with me (yet again.)  I know you have been extraordinarily busy creating a chapbook manuscript and penning original poems celebrating Harriet Tubman.  The Tubman project we will get to; tell me about this manuscript…what is the theme and what has been your process to get this work compiled?


Cyd:


It is always a pleasure to converse with you Bill.  I enjoy sharing with you information about projects I work on.  I feel like a child making my parent proud when I do so.  My manuscript is titled Aftermath Beforehand. The theme is “where I come from.”  What I mean by that is, it is a magnified opinion of my perception.  A way to describe how I see things and its influence on how I feel about things.  Things such as pop culture, abortion, aging, news headlines, church, infidelity, abuse, and more. So many issues, but the tie-in is my individual take on those subjects.  When I would have discussions with my dad, he would listen and then he would say, “now let me tell you where I’m coming from” to express his opinion.  Well, in Aftermath Beforehand, I state where I come from on certain issues.


bill:


Some of the themes and topics that you mentioned are still controversial even in today’s permissive society.  Are there themes that you have personally experienced (and there is no need to share what those may be) and if so, is this manuscript cathartic for you, and in what way?


Cyd:


Oh, most definitely controversial and relevant today in the sense that myself and many people I know grapple with decisions made and will make. My manuscript is a way for my personality and morals to be arms that embrace and rock me when I feel disillusioned about choices I make.  When I think about ancestors and groundbreakers who forged through adversity so my life could have balance, I sometimes hang my head when I choose paths not worthy of their approval so to speak.  In those times, I need to hash out personal controversies and get on with life. Perhaps Aftermath Beforehand can be a support mechanism for many who read it.  My aim is not to preach, just to share thoughts that may inform someone that many experience similar struggles yet remain on their feet.


bill:


Well, I am sure a number of people hope that the manuscript finds a publisher and we can bask in your published words and thoughts.  Now, tell me about the Tubman project, which will premier on March 10 in Auburn, NY.  Where did the motivation come from to create a new body of work and make it specific to one individual?


Cyd:


(Chuckle) Thank you to all who believe in or enjoy my work.  I know you ask the question about the Tubman project for record’s sake, but I must note that aaduna.org urged me to take on the challenge of writing poetry specifically about Harriet Tubman. In 2011 while participating in an aaduna sponsored literary event in Auburn, I visited Mother Tubman’s gravesite at Fort Hill Cemetery.  Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to visit the Harriet Tubman Home on South Street, but I spent time in the William H. Seward House Museum.  Walls of the museum allowed me to lean on determination and air cuddling the cemetery treated me as family and compelled me to write.  I submitted a poem to the office of aaduna.org to demonstrate how I was affected by my visits to historical necessity.  In turn, I was invited to participate in a centennial acknowledgement of Mother Tubman’s death and legacy in Auburn.  How could I not accept? I am honored.  It has taken me from 2011 to the present to research Harriet Tubman and create poems.  For me, the experience of taking on such an endeavor was baptism. I discovered truths rarely divulged about Mother Tubman and duty I was born to be responsible for.  I have been to “the river” and my robe is still wet.


bill:


And as a “possible” co-conspirator and principal instigator, I need to advise our readers that you created a chapbook of work that went through rounds of editing and hard work for over a year.  With that said, how do you see this centennial opportunity furthering your writing career and providing greater exposure for your work and you as a poet?


Cyd:


Wow!  Well... Actually, I get emotional thinking about the Tubman project because it stems from history we must forever embrace.  It would be ideal to have a chapbook produced so it can be used as an educational and performance tool. My poems are crafted not only with technique but also with respect and sincerity.  Perhaps the spirit of my work will be so impressive audience members will look forward to more.  Hopefully, many will be lifted during the reading and later mention their encounters to others.  Possibly, artists and teachers in the audience will be inspired to use my words for their own presentations.  I envision myself as a published professional writer every day.  I see my shoulders center a rowboat, on a bayou with a big flop hat securing my identity and my skin from burn while I write as onlookers ponder, “Is that Cyd Charisse Fulton the author?”  (Chuckle)  In the meantime, I research publishing avenues and participate in literary events while I write poetry and other genres.


bill:


Are there any upcoming events where you are reading that you share?  And did you recently complete a residency programs for writers or is that just an unfounded rumor? If so, what was that experience like?


Cyd:


Funny you should ask.  I plan to participate in another aaduna.org sponsored poetry event with several extraordinary poets next month at Hudson County Community College.  I am excited about it because students are going to share their poetry as well and they go deep especially with spoken word. It is going to be a smoker, especially if Princess-poet, Tamara Madison participates because she ignites a fire like a mischievous child plays with firecrackers. Her words continuously strike and burn to an exciting bang.  In May, I studied at Cave Canem in New York under the guidance of renowned poet and author John Murillo.  The theme was crossing cultures.  It was an eight-week workshop that not only exposed participants to many nationalities and their art, but also how to write from places in one’s self where we usually do not attempt to go because it is intimidating. Finding the “duende” is what the process is called. I was unable to join fellow poets for the public reading of our work at the end of the workshop because I graduated from New York University the same day.  However, Cave Canem poets are my family, we stay in touch, and I support their aspirations and achievements in any way I can. In August, I read at the Mariposa Retreat Reunion event at the renowned Writer’s Center in Maryland. Last October and this year, I attended Mariposa Poetry Retreats in Pennsylvania. The Retreat is founded and directed by noted author and poet, Maritza Rivera and it is a beautiful experience. It takes place in the Catoctin Mountains in Waynesboro where poets get time and space to dive into their work in a peaceful setting. Art was also stimulated by rhythm and movement.  An African drum and dance troupe performed and we were encouraged to dance and play drums with instruction to understand the significance of each movement and to feel the rhythm. Drums represented the heartbeat of which we should allow creativity to emerge.  We were to awaken and liberate the muse. Poets were versed about inner strength by a Qigong instructor.  Qigong is the study of energy humans possess even as embryos. Literary activist E. Ethelbert Miller whose poetry has been translated in several languages gave a lecture and one-on-one consultations.  I was inspired by his achievements, such as being one of the first students of Howard University to major in African American Studies.  There were several other faculty and writers there to encourage us to invigorate our creativity and I appreciate them all for sharing.  Wow!  As I talk about these experiences, I am humble.  I am truly blessed.


bill:


Your plate is overflowing and that is great. 


As I end this chat, do you have any further thoughts you wish to share?


Cyd Charisse Fulton
Cyd:


Yes.  To everyone…Let’s groove.  Peace.

Comments