Of Service, Renewed Commitment, Embracing Social Justice, and Recognizing our Preciousness as Human Beings


"Martin Luther King Jr," ink gouache oil pastel, Allen Forrest, artist (c) 2015

January 15th, a national day to reflect, to understand, to put in perspective those issues that should defines us as global citizens regardless of nationality or culture. The hope of a better world and respect for human rights and dignified living are universal concepts that are grounded in Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King’s life-long work. King was an American rooted in addressing multi-layered conflicts surrounding race, discrimination, peace, and human justice situations and his life was viciously and unexpectedly cut short. As a literary journal devoted to words, it is fitting for aaduna to recognize this American and international figure through some of his words complemented by the art of Allen Forrest, who resides in British Columbia, Canada and is a prior aaduna contributor.  Allen's work first appeared in The Kuta Gallery of aaduna's spring 2015 issue, and as the cover art of the spring 2017 issue and a full exhibition in The Penalver Gallery of aaduna's summer 2017 issue


***


“As I stand here and look upon the thousands of Negro faces, and the thousands of white faces, intermingled like the waters of a river, I see only one face-the face of the future.”           

            - from King’s  April 18, 1959 speech before 26,000 black high school and college students who went to Washington, DC to express their support for the 1954 Supreme Court decision against racial segregation in American public schools. 

 


The sublime statements of the major [religious] denominations on the question of human relations move all too slowly to the local churches in actual practice.  All too many ministers are still silent. It may well be that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition is not the glaring noisiness of the so-called bad people, but the appalling silence of the so-called good people. It may be that our generation will have to repent not only for the diabolical actions and vitriolic words of the children of darkness, but also for the crippling fears and tragic apathy of the children of the light."                


                - from King’s article, “The Current Crisis in Race Relations” written for New South in March 1958. 


“Voting as a badge of full citizenship has always had a special meaning to the Negro, but in 1965 the denial of the right to vote cuts painfully and deeply into his new sense of personal dignity. It is salt on his wounded pride. For today he looks beyond the borders of his own land and sees the decolonization and liberation of Africa and Asia; he sees colored peoples, yellow, black and brown, ruling over their own new nations. He sees colored statesmen voting on vital issues of war and peace at the United Nations at a time when he is not even permitted to vote for the office of sheriff in his local county.”            

            - from King’s article, “Civil Right No. 1: The Right to Vote, which appeared in the Sunday, March 14, 1965 issue of the New York Times.


“I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!                

                - from King’s “I Have a Dream” speech delivered as the keynote address of the March on Washington, DC for Civil Rights before the Lincoln Memorial on August 28, 1963.   


"I am somebody. I am a person. I am a man with dignity and honor. I have a rich and noble history. How painful and exploited that history has been. Yes. I was a slave through my foreparents and I am not ashamed of that. I’m ashamed of the people who were so sinful to make me a slave.’ Yes, we must stand up and say, “I’m black and I’m beautiful,” and this self-affirmation is the black man’s need, made compelling by the white man’s crimes against him.”               

            - from King’s last, and most radical SCLC presidential address, “Where Do We Go from Here?”


“Well, I don’t know what will happen now. We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn’t matter with me now. Because I’ve been to the mountaintop. And I don’t mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And he’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over. And I’ve seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I’m happy, tonight. I’m not worried about anything. I’m not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”

            - from Dr. King’s last sermon. “I See the Promised Land” was delivered on the eve of his assassination at [the Bishop Charles] Mason Temple in Memphis, Tennessee on April 3, 1968.


*****


At aaduna, we graciously manifest the principles espoused by Dr. King through literary avenues and therefore, embolden the progressive social justice stance of his contemporaries.  After King’s unfortunate passing, a diverse cohort of public and never recognized local, regional, national, and global leaders inherited the task of achieving social justice and human rights for the people that they represent. We stand with those unheralded folks in what is a global effort to give everyone world-wide basic human rights and social justice solutions and pathways when those rights are challenged, abridged, or taken away.    


At aaduna, through our ability and dedication to present diverse, multicultural, embracing ,and global words and visual images to tantalize the imagination and stimulate creative goals, we are who we say we are. We stand.


_____________________________


aaduna - an online adventure with words and images - a globally read, multi-cultural, and diverse online literary and visual arts journal established in 2010.  Visit us at www.aaduna.org where we put measurable actions to our words.

Help us build community!  Share with your friends,  "like" our Aaduna-Inc facebook page and follow us on twitter @ aadunaspeaks !  



aaduna-Inc aaduna-Inc  Visit regularly for updates !



















Comments