A Poem for your Wednesday

Feby Joseph (photo provided)

Avenues bring us to various crossroads and pathways, some familiar, some new.  Enjoy the work of Feby Joseph.



City IV


How many times have I done this before?

Taken these broken stones
to rebuild this broken house.

Was this stone ever fresh?
Once, when it was whole… maybe
That is but a distant memory.

Yet. I start fresh –
with broken things,
The debris of dust and air.
The remains of yesterday.

I always took a moment to look
at the calmness that lay afterwards.
At the poignant beauty of destruction
The charred remains of a life rewritten

Like a tree that grows from a raped stump
A few moments of naked brown flesh
Then the business of green growth
For what else is it but business?
This rebuilding of broken lives?

If emotions were involved
A poem would be uttered at the first end
May be a few tears;
Then the chapter would be closed – it would be
The very last end!
The land would be left behind.
Not this rehashing and re-birthing of lives.

So, I rebuild these walls
Rebuild this door, this window.
I rebuild using these discarded yesterdays
Knowing that tomorrow or maybe the day after
All of this would be destroyed again.

I can already hear the grumbling winds.
It's far - maybe I'll get a few months, years?
I know it's expect of me to forget
But I can never seem to not remember.

That this home – this town – this city
That I am building was nothing
but ruins yesterday -
The broken stones in my hands - today

As I carry on the tradition –
This cycle of emotion-free chore
Of rebuilding from the ruins once again.

This business of Living
That started many yesterdays ago.

How many times have I done this before?


Bio

“Hailing from the beautiful South Indian coastal state of Kerala seeped in green and poetry, I am a spiritual vagabond still trying to figure it out. Presently I’m working in a desert – counting other people’s money while words waltz about in my head.”
           - Feby Joseph


* This poem was previously published on “Cafe Dissensus” in 2017.  
https://cafedissensusblog.com/2017/05/12/two-poems-feby/#more-6429


-------




aaduna - an online adventure with words and images - a globally read, multi-cultural, and diverse online literary and visual arts journal established in 2010.  Visit us at www.aaduna.org where we put measurable actions to our words.

Help us build community!  Share with your friends,  "like" our Aaduna-Inc facebook page and follow us on twitter @ aadunaspeaks !  

aaduna-Inc aaduna-Inc  Visit regularly for updates !

Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your comments, thoughts, feedback, or ask questions - thank you!