aaduna in exile 2021-2022 - Uckfield

 


Not Knowing...Knowing...


It started in the winter of 1967…my exposure to things, words, music and an intriguing aspect of global Black culture that was foreign to me prior to college. Fêtes, goat water, baked green plantains, fungee, pepperpot, curried goat, jerk chicken, ganja, patois, ackee, ska, calypso, and reggae, numerous jump-ups, jumbies…all invaded and challenged my inability {and truth be told, unwillingness} to even try to understand the English that was spoken to me, the hand gestures and other mannerisms directed my way. I knew I had to allow myself to be flooded with cultural aspects that had the potential to embolden my spirit and expand my perspectives on being “Black.”   


Simply, every “foreign” nuance was lumped and termed Jamaican or West Indian while my  ignorance of the diversity of distinct countries was simplified and coalesced in generic phraseology. And when I decided to bust open my isolated homogeneity sense of “blackness,” I started to understand and eventually embrace the diversity of countries and cultures that were home to many black immigrants who settled in New York City’s Brooklyn, Harlem, Queens, the Bronx, and other welcoming neighborhoods throughout the United States. I started to learn about Rastafari that by the late Sixties was a significant religious movement and cultural phenomenon dating back to the 1930s. 


With a learned understanding of Haile Selassie and Marcus Garvey fueled by reggae and calypso music, as well as liberation national politics, I opened myself to be engulfed in an expanding sense of American soul culture. My ability to “hear” and effectively communicate with residents from island nations left me wondering what took me so long. And then came Bob Marley and the Wailers and other reggae pioneers who paved the way for Marley’s global presence and cultural influence into mainstream non-black cultural mores. 

 

Clive Uckfield writes from the perspective of Rastafari and the dynamics associated with that cultural attribute. A former aaduna contributor, his previous story “Empire of the White Rastas” was published in aaduna in 2020.  “Rasta Jesus” is the second part of his ‘Rasta Empire Trilogy,’ which win finished will form a book he hopes to publish. Here is the opening excerpt from “Rasta Jesus.” 

 

It had been a quiet COVID working from home sort of morning when the mail crashed through my letterbox like waves breaking on a beach. Mesmerised by my computer screen I had been woken from a seemingly hypnotic trance, relieved only by the chance of a change of scene.  

What had caught my eye most of all about ‘the’ letter was that it was postmarked 4th March 2020 exactly a year to the day before its arrival. Its battered state providing enough evidence for a conviction in any decent Court of law. I remember sitting down in my spacious dining room looking out across the fields which surrounded my house. My life on the surface looked like a rural idyllic existence yet it hid like a plaster a frustrated lonely carbuncle of a life. My grandfather clock stealing away the hours left of my three score years and ten.  

 

 

Clive Uckfield (photo provided)


Clive Uckfield is married with two wonderful sons. He has travelled to many places around the world and lived all over the UK. He enjoys bringing happiness to others through his stories, poems, and photography. 


<><><>

aaduna an online adventure with words and images - a globally read, multi-cultural, and diverse online literary and visual arts journal established in 2010.  


Help us build community!  Share with your friends,  "like" our Aaduna-Inc facebook page and follow us on twitter @ aadunaspeaks !  

aaduna-Inc aaduna-Inc  Visit regularly for updates ! 

 

 

 

Comments