Luisa Aparisi-França…somewhat of a prologue

 


“…integrity.

 It is, by far, the thing I'm most concerned about. I often explore intersection and how mine are linked to privilege through the textual use of italics (when using other languages) and through structure. It's normally seen as othering when languages other than English are italicized in text, but I use it as a method of separation. Who I am and how I was raised is not something that is visible to most, and there's a clear disconnect in how I'm perceived, which I think is most accurately reflected, in my case, with the use of italics.

“Luisa Aparisi-França is a queer, non-binary Latinx writer from Miami, FL currently living in Georgia. Her pronouns are she/they. “I use she and they based on how distant or close I feel to something. I'll use they when referring to something I've cut ties with, or people/things that no longer serve me. It is linked to self-protection as it is to identity. In moments of intense joy or hurt, I tend to use she, since it's more accessible and familiar. I'm she when taken off guard or delighted. They when trying to be matter of fact or impartial. Luisa also identifies as a demigirl. Coming from a family that is Spanish and Brazilian, being raised in the US was a huge culture shock to the collectivist values they were taught. As a third culture kid, and someone who, for the most part, slides in and out of confines, {Luisa} seeks to use language as a way of bridging divides. Her poems explore transitions, transformations, community, deconstruction, family, love, obligation, and the spaces we constantly create with each decision and interaction.

 

Luisa Aparisi-França

Aparisi-França’s poems will be in the fall/winter 2022 issue of aaduna

ATTENTION!
Meet Luisa in person on October 27th as she performs at aaduna's 6th Annual Fundraiser Gala, "Celebrating the Legacy of Harriet Tubman in the Spirit of the Harlem Renaissance..."




Advance Sale Tickets AVAILABLE NOW via EVENTBRIGHT until October 26th.

CLICK TO PURCHASE

 <><><>

aaduna an online adventure with words and images - a globally read, multi-cultural, and diverse online literary and visual arts journal established in 2010.  


Help us build community!  Share with your friends,  "like" our Aaduna-Inc facebook page and follow us on twitter @ aadunaspeaks !  

aaduna-Inc aaduna-Inc  Visit regularly for updates ! 

 

 

Comments