“if not for you”…


As many of you know, aaduna has a penchant for providing viable platforms for a diverse range of ethnicities, cultures, racial, class, and gender groups.  (While the reader may not know just ’cause we don’t share, the political landscape is also covered without pre- judgment one way or the other.) I suspect any unbiased review of the thrice-yearly journal and this blog will bear witness to a simple fact.  Each year since 2011, aaduna has presented a broad and embracing range of voices, themes, ideas, and opinions.  And while I remain tempted to share unsolicited testimonials, I rather keep the emphasis on contributors and our reading audience and not any independent or self-perceived standard of importance or greatness from us.

Truth be told, in quiet and unsolicited ways, external organizations see our value to the literary tradition and our support for creative people. Unexpectedly, those entities every so often present an opportunity for us to broaden our reach, or to provide enhanced support to or for contributing artists and others who we embrace and work with.  We thank and appreciate those organizations and especially folks who bring their expertise and skill sets to effectively leading those organizations. Now, let’s get down to business.


sunday aaduna interview

On this Sunday, we feature a timely chat with a renaissance person whose personal background and experiences traverse an intriguing landscape of interests and activities.  A guest aaduna contributing editor and beyond aaduna, a captivating person and enlightening presence in the world, I am pleased to chat with Linda Gonzalez.


*** 

bill berry, jr.:

Ms. Gonzalez, I appreciate your willingness to have a brief chat with me and I suspect our readership will find relevance in your words thoughts and activities in English and Spanish!  So here we go! You mention that the publication date of your memoir is approaching or has approached its publication date.  I wonder what prompted you to tackle this contemplative task, how long did it take to complete, and now that it is finished, what are your thoughts about what you put in print for the public to read?   


Linda Gonzalez:

I went to a writing retreat and the teacher asked us what was the story that haunted us that we had to tell. I immediately thought: My father’s two families. I did not think of it as contemplative, but of course it led to all kinds of contemplative moments when I had to make decisions on content and structure. I had to contemplate the data I unearthed in doing research and talking to many family members against the stories I had heard all my life.

It was a labor of love for 14 years. I wrote the equivalent of 2-3 books as I changed structures, the underlying thread, and the importance of main characters, also known as family members. Since my family life and discoveries continued, the original ending is now about two-thirds into the book.

Some writers say they know when they are done, and I can’t say that totally. I keep thinking of important details or scenes that could have been part of book. It feels very fluid even though it is officially done. The book, like a child, feels a part of me and yet completely different. I am very curious about how people will respond. There are so many different threads of stories and so many issues universal to families that people will have a personal response based on which of the many situations that life gives us they have experienced. Are they parents? Did their parents die? What were their family secrets? Was español a part of their lives and how do they feel when they don’t know what it means in the book? Are they estranged from siblings? What borders did their people cross and how does that limit and expand their lives? Are they the ones who watch or the ones who take decisive action?

It is, for me, in many ways, a love story on many levels, but that is hidden between the lines and that may be only how I see it.


bb:

You have piqued my curiosity and you mentioned your father’s two families.  Without giving away any of the poignant tales or themes in the memoir, can you describe the two families and how they intersect or not, and how they serve as the essential catalyst for the work?


LG:

I say in the book and it is true- childhood memories – both those we remember and those only our bodies and hearts remember have profound impact on us. Each set of my father’s 3 children, one in México and the other in Los Angeles made decisions about our worth and each other without having the chance to share stories or ask questions. We intersected mostly through my Mexican brother who came to the US and lived here for 35 years. He was the source of information across borders for many years until I decided to stop the pattern of avoidance and dig into our father’s secrets despite the multiple layers of disappointment I had to excavate to get to what was possible between us all.

I had to live with understanding I would not be alive if my father had not abandoned his first family. I also had to understand both my parents’ journeys to the US and their choices without ever really asking them directly. That is the creative part of creative non-fiction – imagining and looking at the clues until they form a picture that you describe on paper.

I am deeply sad that this brother, Miguel, who joined me in the process of changing our family narrative, passed away in December before he could read the memoir, but his spirit is at peace.


bb:

I am sure that you had rigorous and pertinent path of self-discovery and self-reflection.  Now that the memoir is finished and the book available, where are you taking your creative writing skills and how are those skills intersecting with the other professional interests and activities in your life especially your work as a life coach?


LG:

I, in the spirit of Jane Austen, have had many books cooking on the backburner over the years. On the creative writing side I have a book of essays from those I have written over the years, including 26 I wrote in 2017 as part of the #52essays 2017 challenge. I also have a set of essays for another book entitled Mothering as Legacy where I explore what I have left my children as an inheritance, gifts that endure beyond my lifetime to thrive in a world full of inequities.

On the coaching side, I have two books in progress, both drawing from my own life lessons and that of the many people of color I have coached. One is called Breaking your Own Glass Ceiling. It is the antithesis of most motivational, ‘one size fits all’ books, a collection of multicultural wisdom from my path to success that explicitly addresses the impact of societal inequities. My other book is Acting your Age: It’s Never too Late to Thrive, where I posit there are eight key elements to our full being and that we can be at different ages in all. Knowing where our blocks are allows us to ‘grow up’ by healing old wounds and living our fullest.

I also continue to translate my writing to live performances. All the world may not love a stage, but I do!


bb:

You are prolific, determined, gracious, and giving.  Your gifts are welcome and through your generosity of spirit, you inherently increase our overall knowledge while enabling us to ponder our personal and unique characteristics.

Now, we have briefly talked about the role of another language in writing, especially when the primary language used is English.  How do you see another language (most notably Spanish) being incorporated in an English written piece either sporadically or as major passages of dialogue or scene staging throughout a work….Why, and what is the thematic significance of using a second language? And has this usage of Spanish become a writer’s cliché that ultimately lacks authenticity or am I missing the bigger picture? 


LG:

Given how very few writers in the grand scheme of writers overall integrate Spanish, or other non-European languages, it is nowhere near being a cliché (an accepted “other” language word!). I think of my use of Spanish the way any person who grew up in a household where non-standard white English was spoken thinks of their language patterns. It was my first language but was quickly colonized by standard white English in schools, my neighborhoods, TV, and movies. In my home, we spoke what is now called Spanglish. My parents mostly spoke Spanish to their immigrant guests and family. We kids spoke mostly English and shunned Spanish until older and wiser. Spanish is not thematic, it is authentic to my lived life and how I think, speak, sing, and write daily.

Just as you and I use critique, déjà vu, and genre without batting an eye, I flow entre inglés y español. My writing expresses a reality that resonates with folks who rarely see their lives and ‘dialect’ on the page. Most of the pushback is from a discomfort of being excluded and not knowing. Should I therefore exclude those, who like me, move fluidly between two languages? We all read authors who use words, even if all in English, we don’t always understand. We either deduce what they mean from context or we look them up or we just accept we can’t know everything. Chinua Achebe said, "Language is a weapon and we use it, and there's no point in fighting it." He, like many African writers, incorporates Igbo words, rhythms, language, and concepts to give us a deeper experience of his particular culture and to resist the ‘rightness’ of standard English. So too do I.


bb:

I appreciate your straightforward and appropriately nuanced sense of language in literature.  The simplicity of what you say is all too often made complex by mono-lingual folks. But, that is another discussion and is the province of the “base” to figure things out when reading diverse literary works. 

Well, our chat is nearing its end, and I want to thank you for taking the time to share.  So, in closing, tell us what you do for fun and to relax.  Also, feel free to impart any additional wisdom or thoughts that you want us to ponder during 2018.  Stay blessed and safe Ms. Gonzalez.


LG:      

I live in a cottage surrounded by magnificent trees and much natural beauty. This home is my refuge from the vagaries of a world full of so much heartache. I don’t think of fun and relaxation as goals, rather they arise when I am fulfilling my purpose, living well and simply, and nurturing compassion and joy. This includes being an avid tennis player, devoted yogi, and soto zen Buddhist practitioner. I am a big fan of the Golden State Warriors for their unselfish play and concern for social justice.



****

linda gonzales writer editor aaduna
Linda González (photo provided)
Linda González, a writer and life coach who believes in the power of stories to inspire and heal, is the author of The Cost of Our Lives, a family memoir. She has published numerous essays in literary journals and anthologies and is a storyteller in the San Francisco Bay Area. Linda received a MFA in Creative Writing from Goddard College, a MSW from USC and a BA in English from Stanford University. You can read more of her writing at www.lindagonzalez.net and learn about her equity-based coaching, assisting writers and other full-hearted people to discover and reach their precious goals. Ms. González was born in Los Angeles, and has called the San Francisco Bay Area her home for 30+ years.  Linda currently lives and plays tennis in Marin County. And she is still raising and being raised by her beloved millennial twins.





_____________________________
aaduna - an online adventure with words and images - a globally read, multi-cultural, and diverse online literary and visual arts journal established in 2010.  Visit us at www.aaduna.org where we put measurable actions to our words.

Help us build community!  Share with your friends,  "like" our Aaduna-Inc facebook page and follow us on twitter @ aadunaspeaks !  

aaduna-Inc aaduna-Inc  Visit regularly for updates !

Comments